Saturday, May 18, 2013

More spring maintenance

I got back in the bees today with a few objectives.  I had to refill their half gallon feeders with syrup and remove the inserts from below the screened bottom boards.  I checked on hive D, the weak hive that I added some egg and brood frames to a couple weeks prior.  Turns out they're doing great now.  I saw the marked queen and plenty of new eggs that looked good.  The hive's honey supply has also greatly decreased as they've been building up.  I went through a some of the other hives a bit to check on things.  No swarm cells yet (yah) and all the hives appear to be building up well with good eggs and brood.  I found the queen in hive A.  She had a faint mark from a previous year, so I marked her again to make it more visible.  I swapped out a couple old frames with some new foundation frames.

I've also been working on a new swarm trap.  It's basically a homemade nuc box as it's the same size and will hold five deep frames, but will have a larger entrance hole.  It's about done.  Need to paint it, get some hardware cloth for the hole to keep birds out and then hang it in a nearby tree with some old frames in it for bait.  With the rate the bees are going, I wouldn't be surprised if we get a couple swarms this year.  Not sure what we'll do with them since we don't have any more hives, but I'm sure someone would take them off our hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment